Linguistics: Translation Studies and Practice
Duration: 2 years (4 semesters)
Fields of study: Linguistics, Translation Studies, Translation Practice
Languages of instruction: English
The programme provides Master’s degree students with professional, general cultural, research and analytical competences in translation practice and translation studies.
The programme is focused on training a foreign language professional and a multicultural specialist who is able to facilitate interpersonal and cross-cultural communication.
The graduates obtain extensive translation and interpretation skills required for production industry, business and commerce, tourism, administration and other fields.
The effectiveness of the programme is based on complex curriculum that includes theoretical and applied subjects.
• to train master students with broad general scientific outlook, in-depth knowledge in linguistics and cross-cultural communication;
• to develop professional expertise of graduates and to build solid foundation of theoretical knowledge in translation studies and translation practice;
• to form the translation competence as an ability to carry out cross-cultural intermediation in different areas of human life and activity;
• to provide necessary conditions for the development of individual intellectual and creative abilities and professional expertise;
• to equip master students with skills of applying knowledge for the solution of the corresponding professional problems.
On successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
in applied activity
• have in-depth linguistic knowledge, comprising phonetic, grammatical and lexical characteristic features and structures of the foreign languages studied;
• express ideas in a foreign language fluently, clearly and coherently;
• use various linguistic means to achieve communication goals of the statement with regard to the peculiarities of current communication context;
• demonstrate knowledge of modern scientific paradigms in linguistics and dynamics of their development, methodology and techniques of linguistic research;
• carry out written translation in compliance with grammatical, lexical, syntactical and stylistic norms and standards of translation equivalence;
• conduct consecutive interpretation and sight translation in compliance with grammatical, lexical, syntactical and stylistic norms and standards of translation equivalence and temporal features of the original text;
• define strategies and algorithms of translation;
• adopt communication strategies and tactics, rhetorical, stylistic and language norms and methods accepted in different spheres of communication;
• take into account social and semiotic characteristics of speech situation while making translation decisions;
• perform an act of cross-cultural communication considering linguistic and extra linguistic factors;
• fulfil qualified language support during international forums and negotiations;
• write, edit, review, organize and transform all types of text using appropriate linguistic means and style;
• apply the system of interpreter’s note-taking for consecutive interpreting;
• follow international etiquette and standards of conduct in various situations of interpretation;
• anticipate and deal with various communication situations between the representatives of different cultures and states;
• know ethical norms and moral standards accepted in different cultures, typical scenarios and patterns of interaction;
• use etiquette rules in written and oral speech;
in research activity
• conduct individual research in different spheres of linguistics and various forms of communication, including e-communication;
• present hypotheses and deploy arguments in their favour;
• prepare documents and analytical reports and promote research results;
• write and edit scientific papers;
• accumulate knowledge from different spheres of professional activity and employ it for professional purposes;
• meet professional challenges using native and foreign languages in oral and written communication;
• obtain and apply new knowledge and skills in practice;
• use creative potential and stimulate personal development;
in teaching activity
• plan, organise and realise teaching in specific linguistic disciplines in the universities;
• carry out reviews and examination of scientific and learning materials in linguistic disciplines;
in project and management activity
• rationally use material, intangible and financial resources for education;
• comply with the requirements of environmental and information safety while performing professional goals;
• organise group and collective activity to achieve common goals of the working team.
The graduates are ready to work as interpreters or translators in translation agencies or departments at industrial enterprises, national and international companies and organisations in the sphere of foreign trade, finance, etc.
The graduates may opt to continue studies at a higher level, conduct their own academic research and work as university teachers and lecturers.
|1st semester||ECTS||2nd semester||ECTS|
|Consecutive Interpretation||4||Business English||4|
|Written Translation and Text Transformations||4||Foreign Language Practical Course||2|
|Practice on Acquiring Initial Professional Skills||6||Consecutive Interpretation||5|
|Translation Methods||3||Written Translation and Text Transformations||4|
|Modern Situation in English Speaking Countries||6|
|Practice on Acquiring Professional Skills||6|
|3rd semester||ECTS||4th semester||ECTS|
|Simultaneous Interpretation||8||Research Work||15|
|Written Translation and Text Transformations||8||Pre-Graduation Practice||9|
|Practical Course of Literary Translation||2||Defence of Graduation Thesis||6|
|Practice on Acquiring Professional Skills||3|
The detailed description of the disciplines is provided on request.
Дата обновления: 08.12.2017 16:22