Recognition Abroad

Very often Russian universities graduates have a question if the diploma they get will be recognized in Europe, particularly in Germany, if they will be able to find the job according to their major on the European labour market with their Russian diploma? What is necessary to do so that the Russian diploma could be recognized? What other requirements will be imposed by future employers? The answers to these questions can be found below.

So that foreign citizens could check if the diplomas they receive are recognized in Germany, the German Ministry for Foreign Affairs contributed to creating a special database which contains all known to Germans educational institutions from all over the world with notes if their diplomas are recognized:

Penza State University is in this list with status H+. It means that PSU is identified by Germany as higher educational establishment, so the diplomas received here are recognized on the territory of Germany.

The recognized diploma is an essential condition for getting a working visa and Blue Card. The procedure of recognizing (Bewertung) is conducted by ZAB (Zentralstelle für ausländisches Bildungswesen):

Note, that applying for recognition of a Russian diploma is possible from outside Germany (for example, from Russia). The cost of recognition is currently 200 euros. The procedure takes 4-5 months. It is important that if you have a working contract signed, the diploma recognition is made within several weeks.

The next step you have to take is to find out what group of professions your major belongs to: unregulated or regulated professions. You can find information about this on the following sites: or

If your major refers to regulated professions, for example, a teacher or a doctor, if you want to work according to your major and to occupy better-paid positions, you have to go through the diploma acknowledgement procedure (Anerkennung). In other words, first you’ll have to take professional retraining in Germany. To acknowledge the diploma, as a rule, it is necessary to:

  • to have work experience according to your major (for example, in Russia) at least 3 years;
  • for a number of professions (for example, teachers, doctors) it is necessary to have an international certificate confirming the German language skills at least at the level B2, for example Goethe-Zertifikat В2. Note, that preparing for and taking exams for Goethe-Zertifikat is now possible at Penza State University. For more details:
  • sometimes it is required to take a qualifying exam in major.

The acknowledgement is usually conducted by organizations called Regierungspräsidium. Information on these organizations is on the following site: It is necessary to look for the organization in your major.

If you still have questions you can come to International Cooperation Office and ask Tatyana Razuvaeva, Deputy Head of the Department (e-mail:, office 11-107.

Дата создания: 30.06.2016 16:32
Дата обновления: 01.02.2018 11:32